Thursday, April 17, 2008

Complexity

I had lunch today with a student at Houghton--let's call him D'Angelo--who is not enlisted in the ROTC program, but is taking an ROTC course for credit. (On second thought, let's call him Mark.)

He is in the course because he is an international relations major, and thinks it might be wise for him to know a bit about what makes the military tick, since his career path seems likely to intersect with military folks. (Isn't that a wonderful reason to take a course, by the way?)

His answers to some of my questions made me think that I should not try to compose my essay (see two posts below--"A second draft") with "Yes" and "No" answers. Things are more muddled. If I use any headings at all, they should include (or maybe be exclusively) "Probably" and "Probably Not".

For example, I asked Mark, "If the Houghton faculty voted to exclude ROTC from the catalog, how would you react?" He properly said that he'd like to know their reasons, but that no matter what the reasons, he would regret that some students (including one or two he knows) would not choose to come to Houghton, and would thereby be denied the chance to get the education here that might make them better informed soldiers.

Mark's response implies that whatever school the student chooses in Houghton's place is not likely to provide as good an education. It also doesn't consider that there may be students who come to Houghton and transfer because of our connection to ROTC. In any case, there's a conversation waiting to happen here, and it makes me want to write the essay to reflect the complexity. Using just YES and NO answers is too rigid.

I'm just afraid that a straight-up essay won't get read as widely, and will fail to have any noticeable impact at all.

Mark told me that the army does allow a student to complete a year of coursework (paid for by the government) and yet unenlist at the end of the year. He said the army doesn't make this easy, but that it's do-able. (He's going to hook me up with a friend of his who did this, and left Houghton immediately after unenlisting, because he could no longer afford to be here.)

But what do the ROTC students study in that first year? According to Mark, they study tactics, movement, protocol, formations, weapons, and map-reading. There are some outdoor exercises with paintball guns. I don't think this is enough to properly prepare a person for deciding upon a military career. It's the ethics that matter.

On another note, I asked about ROTC cadets carrying guns in our homecoming parade. He said they are coated in rubber and cannot fire. I replied that children don't know the difference. He said it is a little naive to try to protect children from the sight of guns, to which I responded that parades are celebratory, and when children see guns carried in them, they become normative: it's as if we're saying, our community is cool with guns, and they're simply a part of our celebratory and ceremonial life. He admitted that there was a lot to consider on even this issue alone.

So it was a good conversation. And I think anything I (or we) publish on these matters needs to be conversational, too. But it also needs to be readable and digestible and useful.

2 comments:

MLP said...

Thanks for the post, Dave. I hope others will read and weigh in. I respect what pseudo-Mark (well, I have to distinguish) says about the value of folks coming to Houghton because they can ROTC here. The complexity only starts there, though, because Houghton has historically attracted some Mennonite and other peace-oriented folks, folks who might choose NOT to attend Houghton if it seems to be growing more militaristic.

On the issue of the parade, for me it is not JUST the guns (though I still really do want a gun-free campus, and hence parade). Here's my take on the parade: it's the presence of a military honor guard itself that is totally out of place in my view. In the small town where I grew up, civic parades on the 4th of July were led by honor guards of local veterans. That was appropriate because the parade marked a national holiday, was a civic event, and the honor guard of local veterans tied our community into the larger history of the national experience that we were celebrating. They weren't strictly necessary, I would say, but certainly not out of place either. The situation at Houghton is quite different: homecoming is NOT a national holiday, and what is being celebrated is not a one-nation event. Houghton is a Christian institution and an international community. The US flag and the US military have no place AT ALL in a parade that celebrates such an institution and community. If our ROTC contingent wanted to march in civic observances of national holidays in Fillmore or Hume or Caneadea, more power to them! But our homecoming is NOT the place for it.

About the artist said...

Oh, I see now what you mean about the parade, Mark. Thank you for clarifying!