Monday, March 24, 2008

"Maybe people just don't think it's a big deal"

Dave Huth closed a comment under another post with the quote in the title of this one. He observed that part of what was so frustrating about the approval of the military minor was the paucity of debate and the willingness of the faculty to end debate after such a short time. I agree with the frustration--the debate was as disappointing as the outcome in some ways.

I heard a comment from a faculty colleague who was not able to attend the meeting that might explain some of the 'not-a-big-deal-I-guess' attitude: someone had justified the approval to him saying "our students are doing this already, so it's obvious that we should approve it." This suggests to me that part of the problem is that the camel already had its nose in the tent.

So how do we help people see the camel, and convince them that camels don't belong in our tent, however big we might want to make it?

No comments: