Friday, March 21, 2008

Youngest Child Syndrome.

This was recently a conversation among a group a friends - how the order of birth contributes to how we relate to other people. The oldest tends to do and do for others, taking care of people, serving, etc. One of my friends even has a tendency to speak for me. Example: Random Person: "Karis, when are you leaving town next week?" My Friend: "She's leaving Wednesday." Me: "Yeah." Anyway, doesn't bother me. Probably because I'm the youngest, and the youngest generally doesn't know what to do or feels in the way, so lets others just sort of do...

The same friend who often speaks for me also told me that I need to work on my tact. She's usually right about these sorts of things, even if I don't think she is. Anyway, there must be sort of connection.

Why is it that no one is hearing us, hearing the necessity of keeping the peace, and so blindly buy the argument that, for example, we might make ROTC kids feel bad? It's crazy, because that sounds just a little bit like a mockery of many of the democratic ideals. It sounds like they essentially, if that's really the argument that was used, turned the tables on us. How now will we be heard? We have expert debaters, it seems - and they are not laughing.

I guess now is the time for solutions. Identify the problem, identify the audience, identify the solution, and design a strategic rationale to present to said specific audience. Probably there should be cinnamon rolls involved. Anyway, my point is presentation. I often don't feel heard, and I lack tact (sometimes), so there has to be a better way to present ourselves besides: urgent, irate, hurried, angry, frustrated, etc. They are all true and I don't mean to say that they aren't, or that I don't also feel those things, but what are they doing right, and what can we do similarly to gain success for what we know is absolutely necessary?

By the way, thanks for the invite. :)

Picture:
Apparently Greenland is SO peaceful (other than a melting icecap) it doesn't need to be included. Anyway, here's where I got the photo: http://prorev.com/peace.htm


1 comment:

MLP said...

I wonder why Greenland and Iceland aren't included. Greenland is still connected politically to Denmark (which is in a heap of trouble for cartoon aggression), but Iceland is an independent nation that doesn't seem to deserve to be left out. Hmmm... Looks like an interesting site!

You comments raise a good point. Opposing a proposal in a faculty meeting isn't the best presentation strategy for a position. Maybe the best that can come out of this is that it spurs others of us on to action.